What are the best horse grooming kits currently?
We have detailed below some of the best horse grooming kits we could find.
Desert Equestrian Equestria Sport Grooming Set
- Easy to carry,easy to hold and use brushes
- Several pockets to slot in your tools as you work your horse
- Stylish with different colors to choose from.Makes you love the job
- Its easy to carry around too.
- You could fit several cleaning materials in the center round compartment.
- does not have a curry brush
Oster Equine Care Series 7-Piece Grooming Kit
- brushes handles are made of rubber.This is to give you a firm grip that doesnt slide as you clean your horse.
- Comes with a full set of brushes for grooming work.7 in number.
- All brushes have a wrist band which in our view is very practical in the sense that the brushes will not keep on falling off your hands.
- Missing curry brush
Weaver Leather Trailer Grooming Bag
- Well designed nylon bag with several pockets to hold your brushes.
- Brushes handles are made of rubber for firm grip by your hands.
- Has got a padded shoulder strap that gives you comfort when carrying the bag around during the grooming session.
- Available in different colors.
- The body brush falls apart most of the time,maybe because you have to apply more force than with the other brushes.Otherwise,the rest works just fine
Tough 1 Great Grip Grooming Package (8-Piece)
- The brushes are a standard size the will perfectly fit in your hands and enables a firm grip.
- A rubber curry brush is included.
- A long horizontal sweat scrapper.
- Study bristles on all brushes.
- Comes in different colors(6 colors) for the brushes and the tote.
- The back rubber part for most of the brushes comes off after some time.
Derby Premium Comfort 9 Item Horse Grooming Kit
- Features more tools than the previous grooming kits we have detailed above.
- A shoulder strap for easy carry
- A Contoured Sweat Scraper having a Rubber Edge and Shedding Blade Edge .This will assist you in shedding a horse that has not slicked yet
- A washing sponge is also included so that you don’t go into the trouble of sourcing extra washing material .Meaning no added cost
- This horse grooming box uses zippers and not a pull strap to safely secure your tools.So no loss whatsoever when in storage.
Tough 1 Great Grips 6 Piece Brush Set with Bag
- Good rounded design with pockets all round.
- The tote uses a zipper to close.
- Available in a variety of colors to choose from.
- Probably the cheapest.
Tough-1 Portable Grooming Organizer
You most probably by now have lots of horse grooming supplies.During the cleaning session,the tools tend to be scattered all over.The solution to this problem is getting yourself a Tough-1 Portable Grooming Organizer shown above.
- Features a compartment that is closed with a zipper to secure all your tools after cleaning
- Has several pockets to fit your brushes,sprays and formula.
- A comfortable shoulder strap for easy carry around as you do the job.
- Has two hooks for hanging your grooming box somewhere in your horse stable or on a fence.
That’s our list of 7 best horse grooming kit.
Cleaning Your horse:Procedure
Noses-trills,Eyes and ears-Use a sponge or a clean cloth to wipe dirt off of this parts.Ensure that your horse is leashed.
Shortening the mane-Its not advisable to use scissors for this function,instead,use a pulling comb to remove excessive hair on the mane.You could use your own fingers to pull out longer hair.This ensures that the horse remains with shorter neat hair naturally.Pulling of hair ain’t painful to most horses.
Burrs and knots should not be combed out. -use baby oil or simply a de-tangler instead to soften the burrs first before you start pulling them off one after the other.
Do not use a comb at this instant.Simply put the hair starnds apart as you use your hands to remove the burrs.
The slippery nature of the hair due to oiling will give your hands irritating feel and may make the job go slow.Use your rubber glooves instead to speed up the process.
Finally,burn off all the burrs you have dislodged from your horse.Do not dispose them into your compost pit as you will be giving the seeds a chance to sprout again and increase the menace to your horse hygiene.
Cleaning the body-
Key pointers on cleaning the Main body
- Use a curry comb to loosen the mud and debris.
- Use a softer body brush to remove small dirt and loosened hair brought up of the surface from the first step.Usually this brush has longer bristles
- Lastly use a more softer brush to iron out the texture of your horse’s hair.
- Take note of tickling parts especially on the hind legs to avoid him reacting with a Kick.
- Have all you grooming tools in a box at arms length.
Cleaning the sheath-semgma or excretions from the horses penis will tend to build up on your horses sheath forming beans like nods on your horse sheath.
Its not mandatory to clean the sheath,but with constant consultation with your vet,you should do so like in every 6 months.
Take care though,male horse genitalia are very sensitive on touch.
- Make sure you are doing this activity on an open ground,so that you have enough room to run in the event He starts kicking.
- Wear latex gloves.
- leash your horse
- Make sure you are at a safe distance from the hind leg.This is to ensure you receive a blow when He starts kicking as you touch the sheath. Don’t stick your head beneath the horse’s belly,that’s a sure bet of you getting kicked.
- In order to gauge the horse movement while cleaning the sheath down there,place one of your hand on His back.This also increases His trust towards you.
- Splash some water using a hose pipe starting from the belly on towards the sheath.This makes not to be surprised or spooked when you begin grooming work on his sheath.
- Lubricate the sheath area with a commercially accepted lube for horse.This will help loosen the beans grip on the sheath.
- With a clean cloth on your hand,move it around the sheath are.try to locate the beans where they are and gently removing them.
- Pull back the sheath for like 2 inches to check on the penis.Sometimes smegma lodges on it.Pull it off gently with both hands.Its usually rusty in color.
The reasons for cleaning the sheath is to reduce chances of bacterial infections.
Cleaning the Hooves-You will need a hoof pick,a hoof brush,files and working gloves.
- Create trust first with your horse as we have discussed above.
- Keep your horse grooming kit within arms reach.
- Squeeze the backs of the front legs so that it can raise them.
- Check for debris stuck in there such as pebbles,manure, grass and so on
- Using the hoof pick,dig up the stones and other debris from the frog.However,proceed with care not to damage the hooves.
- Use the hoof brush to strike-off smaller debris still stuck in there.
- Thereafter,do some filling to trim and even out the hooves,but don’t overdo it so that you don’t affect the horse’s gait.
Cleaning the tools after the horse grooming exercise
For utmost hygiene,clean your tools after every groom with some disinfectant and safely store the horse grooming kit in a cool,clean and dry place.
To avoid passing on communicable organism to the next horse,its highly advisable that you purchase a horse grooming box for each of your horse.
Make sure you have selected the best horse grooming kit that will be durable for long to conduct numerous of this grooming exercises.
Frequently asked questions on Horse Grooming
- What’s in a grooming kit for horses?
A horse grooming box will contain all the prerequisite grooming items.It should normally include,A hoof pick,a rubber curry comb,a stiff bristle brush,a soft brush and Mane and Tail Comb
- Hoof Pick
A hoof Pick is used to remove debris from the horse’s frog.
Some picks will come double edged,one side has a pick while the other is a small brush.The brush side ensures that you don’t leave even the smallest amount of debris from the hooves.
- Mane and Tail Comb
Used to straighten out the tails hair as well as remove mud entangled within.Use it to clear the mane off burr and knots.Its bristles are a little bit stiffer,purposefully made for this task.
- Curry Comb
Used particularly on the horse main body to scrap off hard mud.Use it in a circular motion to ensure the bristles reach deep down to the skin.This removes mud from the bottom up and any other dirt material.
- Sweat Scrape
If your horse is sweaty,this tool comes in handy.Most of the sweat scrap are contour in shape.And has got a handle attached to ease sweat scraping downwards.See picture below.Some sweat scrape may be double edged featuring a rubber on one side and a metal blade on the other.The blade part could be applied in removing excessive hair particularly when the horse is shedding the coat
- Stiff bristle Brush
Used after the curry combs have done their work.Its purpose is to wipe out loosened hair from the horses body.
- Sarvis Curry Comb
Used to remove sticky lumps of mud.It has strong bristles for this work.
The best horse grooming kit should contain all the above as a bare minimum.
- How do I get my horse to slick off?
If you horse wouldn’t slick off naturally,you could assist by brushing of the coat with a dandy brush.
- What does a dandy brush look like?
Here is an image showing how a dandy brush looks like
- Why is horse grooming important?
You want to ride in a good looking and healthy horse right.Cleaning your horse facilitates aeration of the skin and healthy growth of the hair.This in the end gives your horse a good outlook.It also helps prevent some of hygiene related diseases particularly in the hooves .
- Do horses like being groomed?
If horses still lives in the jungle today,they would be doing the grooming themselves.Just observe the wild animals and see how they love to do it so often.So,the horse isn’t an exception;they love it.A human touch in the grooming work provides an even reach to all parts of the horse body.
- How long does it take to groom a horse?
To have the best result,it would take an hour or two to do all the work.That is,when working alone.But with a helping hand involved,things could move more faster.
- How often should you groom a horse?
Every two days,but most people do it weekly.
Other horse grooming products
what are the best horse grooming brushes?
- How do i clean horse grooming brushes?
Use warm soppy water(add some disinfectant to kill bacteria) to remove grease from the brushes.You can use the backcomb against the brushes to pull out the hair.
Leave them in the sun to dry and store them safely
how to disinfect horse grooming brushes
Your safety when cleaning your horse
- Keep a distant from the rear of the horse to avoid back kiks.
- Do not put your head under your horse’s belly.Some times horses Kick under their belly to chase away flies and you do not want to be on the horse legs way.
- Do not make quick and abrupt movements,horses are easily scared,they may try to run away making the whole process of grooming difficult.
- Avoid stepping on the horse lead rope,if for any case the horse decides to run away,you don’t want to be swept to the ground in such an instance.
- Find hard shoes to wear during horse grooming. This will protect your feet from being injured in the event your horse steps on your feet.